10.11.12

Pregnancy reflections: the anti-you

The one thing everybody will tell you when you're pregnant is "your life will change completely, 100%, once the baby is born". It's not that I don't believe them, but frankly, right now, I'm more occupied with how pregnancy is changing my life. Right here, right now. Today.

Nobody could have warned me for how pregnancy would change me. And no, I'm not talking about getting up several times a night to go to the bathroom, feeling sick for weeks in a row, ligament pains when you stand up too quickly... Yes, those are the things you read about in books, you kind of expect them and then you just deal with them in the best possible way.

What I didn't know is that you can turn into an anti-you just weeks after becoming pregnant. Sure, books will tell you about how tired you will be, and how your energy levels will be low. But I was not prepared for my very sudden and total lack of interest in anything else but my baby and getting enough rest. A movie festival in Cincinnati? Don't care, my favorite band releasing a new song? Don't care, Writing a blog post? ... You get the feeling.

For the past 4 months, that's how I've been feeling. And in a way, it was very refreshing, life does become a lot easier as you become more disconnected from anything "new" going on. It allows you to focus on what really matters (the baby, getting enough sleep, reading up on pregnancy, trying to eat healthily) and still have enough energy to do what must be done (exercise - this is currently a 30 minute walk to work and back -) and work (after 8 hours, I'm pretty much dead).

So, yeah, I pretty much turned into the anti-social Louise... And while at first it scared me, it has taught me that it's ok to cut back on social activities when you don't have the energy for them. I'm carrying a baby after all, and that is now priority number 1.

Once I realized that it was ok, I suddenly had a bit more energy to start reaching out to the people I really missed and to plan in a few more activities: a girls night in (not out!), a theater show, and a basketball game.

I hope you like it, little baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the baby likes it!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Louise, ik zit niet meer op facebook, en dat is een hele verademing! Fuck the social network!

En hoe fantastisch, zwanger, ben ongelofelijk blij voor jullie. Nog altijd in de US?

Proficiat! Lieven, de man die zo veel meer kan maar het vertikt. :-)

Groeten!